Texas Auto Writers Association Names Winners of Excellence in Craft Competition
Dallas, TX, September 29, 2014…Texas Auto Writers Association (TAWA) announced the winners of their eighth annual Excellence in Craft Competition at a lunch event held at the Music Hall at Fair Park September 25. The five categories and winning entries follow:
English Language Newspaper, judged by esteemed newsman, author, and four-time Pulitzer Prize nominee Hugh Aynesworth.
- 1. Derek Shiekhi, Austin American Statesman article about Austin’s new police fleet using Ford’s Police Interceptor Utility vehicle to replace Crown Victoria models.
- 2. Steve Wheeler, Baton Route Advocate, column evaluating the 2014 Toyota Corolla.
- 3. Jeff Yip, Houston Chronicle, consumer report on replacement tire costs.
Spanish Language Newspaper, judged by bilingual Northwood University MBA candidate Francisco Chairez Yanez.
- 1. Gretha Gudmundsson, El Lider USA, article on the 2015 Hyundai Genesis.
- 2. Krystle Smart, El Lider USA, article on 2015 Chrysler 200 C.
- 3. Fabian Campos, Mercado Billingue, article on the 2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8 Core.
Magazine, judged by award-winning journalist and author Carlton Stowers.
- 1. Marty Bernstein (co-authored by Jackie Jouret), Bimmer article on “The Amazing Mal Hoffman.”
- 2. Beverly Smirnis, Greater DFW Metroplex Building Savvy article about SUVs in today’s Texas market.
- 3. Steve Smirnis, Building Savvy Magazine article on four door cabs.
Radio, judged by longtime CBS stations newscaster and Radio Hall of Fame member Mitch Carr.
- 1. The Car Pro Show (Jerry Reynolds hosts syndicated program on WBAP, KRLD and numerous other stations across the country with sidekick Kevin McCarthy).
- 2. In Wheel Time (Houston area radio show featuring Mike Herzing and Don Armstrong).
- 3. The Automotive Reporter, radio show hosted by Harold Gunn in the Houston area.
Internet, judged by husband and wife entrepreneurs and car enthusiasts Scott and Sherri Tilley (theflashlist.com).
- 1. Mark McNab, TopSpeed.com, article on the 2015 Hyundai Genesis.
- 2. Marlon Hanson, FocusDailyNews.com, 2015 Dodge Challenger.
- 3. Holly Reich, JeanKnowsCars.com, article about Land Rover Driving School.
“The Excellence in Craft Competition is the opportunity to showcase the work of our members,” said Michael Marrs, President of the Texas Auto Writers Association. “The 2014 competition was an outstanding success, with Chairperson Durhl Caussey putting together an esteemed panel of judges that really had their work cut out for them due to a record number of 61 entries.”
Texas Auto Writers Association is a nonprofit organization that has promoted professionalism and quality in automotive journalism for more than two decades. TAWA produces two annual events that have gained national traction: the Texas Truck Rodeo and the Texas Auto Roundup at Texas Motor Speedway. Each year, TAWA awards scholarships to Texas college and university students with a journalism major. The group’s annual Excellence in Craft Competition recognizes its members’ exceptional coverage of the automotive industry.
# # #
For more information about TAWA, visit www.texasautowriters.org.
For media information, please contact Jo Ann Holt Caussey, VP Communications, at [email protected].